Northwest Territories Online Sports Betting Review 2023
The first of November 2021 marked the beginning of safe and legal online single-game NWT sports betting for Northwesters. After the Canadian government amended the Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act (Bill C-218) to remove the federal and territorial ban on sports wagering, the industry began to grow significantly, driven by the Western Canada Lottery Corporation (WCLC).
Considering the boom of sportsbooks in this area, we provide a detailed guide to the safest and most profitable Northwest Territories sports betting sites. So that every user can consciously approach the choice of where to wager on competitions.
Northwest Territories Online Casino
Criteria for Rating Northwest Territories Legal Sports Betting Sites
The experts from our team conduct detailed, multistep research of each bookmaker’s site to provide the most comprehensive review for users from the Northwest Territories. The list of criteria that were considered for Northwest Territories sports betting sites consists of the following aspects:
- Website legality and reliability. Transparency and honesty are essential. Only legitimate Northwest Territories sports betting websites with licences from international or national regulators that obey the law are on our list of suggestions.
- Sports offers. The most essential element of a CA bookmaker is the number of sporting events that Northwesters can wager on. We recommend sites with a vast assortment of wagers on sporting events.
- Welcome bonuses and other promos. We consider both the size of bonuses and the wagering conditions and withdrawal rules. If the Northwest Territories online sports betting site offers other promotions like free bets, risk insurance, and cashback, it receives additional appreciation from our experts.
- Deposit options and restrictions. The Canadian brands that provide many easy and safe ways to deposit and, at the same time, do not restrain bettors are always at the top of our ranking.
- The convenient site and mobile version. We give extra points to gambling sites that have dedicated mobile Northwest Territories sports betting apps. The website must also provide adequate services, such as a game tracker, stats, broadcasts, alerts, and fast and live wagers.
- Helpdesk. A good sportsbook guarantees professional, fast, and direct communication of customer support workers with Canadian bettors who have questions.
Sports Betting Northwest Territories Legal Environment
With the amendments to the gambling law entering into force, all individuals over the age of 19 and residing in the Northwest Territories can now bet on events both on sites registered at home and abroad. At this time, there is no law or regulation in Canada that specifically mentions that foreign gambling sites are prohibited. Despite being a gray area, NWTers can legally enjoy Northwest Territories sports betting apps and sites.
Sport Select: The Only Vendor for NWT Sports Betting
Northwest Territories sports betting is overseen by the NWT and Nunavut Lotteries, and WCLC. Their headquarters are in the capital city of Yellowknife.
Sport Select is the only local platform in NWT that offers single-game wagering. The variety of wagers is pleasantly surprising, as there are the following kinds:
- Point Spread
- Combo Play
- Double Play
The process of placing a bet requires two steps: you must first select a bet online and then go to an authorized wagering shop to place a bet offline.
For some Canadian residents, this process is too complicated, so they prefer offshore Northwest Territories sports betting sites. They often offer full online betting on equally favourable terms and are completely legal.
Betting Options in the Northwest Territories
The National Hockey League is one of the leading online gambling events for Canadians. No other sport comes close to it in terms of popularity in CA. Bookmakers are expanding their line-up for this sport specifically for Canadians, with as many as seven local teams, with the superstar player Nathan MacKinnon being the most renowned competing in this most powerful hockey league on the planet. NWT residents give much of their attention to the Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leafs when it comes to Northwest Territories sports betting.
Other winter sports are also in favour among Canadians. But they are not very convenient for gambling since the competitions happen seasonally. The necessary appearance rate on the screen is created by popular physical disciplines in the U.S. Canada is a little brother to the MLB (Baseball League) and the NBA (Basketball League). There is one Canadian team in each league. These Northwest Territories online sports betting options, just like hockey and American soccer, receive a lot of attention from Canadian bettors.
NWT Sports Betting on Horse Racing
Currently, there are no local races in the NWT since they are managed not by the local authorities but by the government of the country in general. However, Canadians are known for their love of horse racing, so they actively use the services of offshore gambling companies to wager on their favourite racehorses.
Northwest Territories Online Sports Betting: Responsible Gaming
You have a few alternatives in the NWT if you think consulting with someone could be useful. The two most common services for responsible gambling are:
- The Responsible Gambling Council. This non-profit organization is dedicated to providing methods and advice for defeating gambling addiction, as well as promoting preventive methods for conscious NWT sports betting.
- Gambling, Gaming, and Technology Use (formerly Problem Gambling). It is part of the Knowledge Exchange and Education portfolio in CAMH’s Provincial System Support Program (PSSP), organized by the Ontario Institute for Gambling and Mental Health. It conducts research on gambling and mental health and provides advice and support to people addicted to gambling across the country, including the Northwest Territories.
FAQ about NWT Sports Betting
Any person of age 19 or older can place bets on single-game physical disciplines in the Northwest Territories. There is currently only one local platform to wager on hockey, NHL, or MBA called Sport Select. Moreover, offshore companies are also not forbidden, making it a legal gray zone for bettors.
There are two major organizations in CA: The Responsible Gambling Council and Gambling, Gaming, and Technology Use (formerly Problem Gambling). Both of them are non-profit companies that offer free consultations and resources with full confidentiality.
Western Canada Lottery Corporation (WCLC), along with NWT and Nunavut Lotteries, overlook the gambling activities in the NW Territories. They issue licences and provide legal protection to bettors against fraud from bookmakers operating in NWT.
The only local vendor in the Northwest Territories, Sport Select, offers desktop and mobile websites only. However, there are many offshore betting sites in a legal gray zone that provide apps to allow for a more comfortable wagering process.